Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sam’s smile


Here's where the drawing ended up. This part is always fun for me. It allows me to set up my color patterns and give everything a foundation. I think watercolors should always have a bit of the feel of a colored drawing. You can see I've already laid a tint of lavender and pink over the whites of the eyes. This really allows the irises to pop with color later when they're not competing with the whites.

I'm really happy with her smile at this stage. It has the subtlety I was hoping for. I'm giving her eyebrows just a bit of frown to suggest she's been caught in the nude, but the smile belies her indignation.

4 comments:

Donna Nolen-Weathington said...

Hi Brian - she's beautiful! Sam was always one of my favorites and I loved that show. (You should read the book sometime too - a little different but pretty good.)

If she wasn't already for someone else, I would have to get her. I love the look on her face.

I will email you soon to get some art for the necklaces - I have some really great ideas!

Donna

Scott Peterson said...

Even by your standards, that is insanely gorgeous.

You're a freak. And I mean that in the best possible way.

Samuel Ellis said...

Man I love how you caught that subtle emotion with the eyebrow, truly remarkable.

Sam

Christian Sanhueza said...

She looks sexy!