Monday, August 4, 2008

One red cent


So I get an e-mail with a link to this thing called Dr. Horrible’s sing along blog. This thing is pure viral and pure entertaining. One of the characters is this redheaded love interest named Penny. She is beautiful in a way that's difficult to explain but effortless to observe, and her skin seems to radiate from an internal light source.

When someone suggested that I paint her, this became viral as well.

I didn't get a chance to do a lot of steps on this one, as it went from sketch to a finished piece in only a few hours. I was just getting ready to sign it when I first thought of the camera.

I started with the sketch on the lower half of the page but I felt this was losing the portrait quality. The color in the other sketch is not really something I planned out. I got a phone call while I was developing the sketch and just sort of started doodling around. The basic composition of the sketch seemed to work, but the fact that both characters were more or less facing right it seemed to force the viewer's eye right off the image. I flipped the doctors figure to create more of a visual loop and push the viewer back into the composition.

No comments: